After having used a Colt 1911 and Beretta for many, many years… I have definitely fallen in love with the Glock as my favorite pistol of choice. There are many reasons but, my primary one is the consistent trigger pull for every single shot. I know that in the SOF community, there are many that prefer H&K (Heckler & Koch) or Sig Sauer for their favorite pistol and I’ve read some good reviews about both of these manufacturers but… they also tend to cost more.
As for concealed carry in a purse… I have a really good friend of mine who is a Special Agent with the FBI and she uses either the Glock 23 or Glock 27. As you have the 27, you are aware that this is the smallest version of the .40 cal models. As in most cases, federal officers tend to carry what they are issued NOT what they have purchased or even prefer the most but I’ve not heard her complain about the Glock at all.
Here are a few things you might want to think about before making a purchase…
- Does the grip fit my hand?
- Does it feel comfortable when I have a good firm grip? If not, don’t buy it. period.
- Do you like the trigger pull? You need to find out if it is too hard or too light. Often this can be adjusted by a good armorer but there are many models that are fine Out-of-the-box.
- Do you prefer revolver or semi-automatic? A revolver is easier to load but it will only 5 or 6 rounds
depending on the make/model. A semi-auto will hold a lot more rounds in the magazine but, some women find them difficult to load without a device to assist them. Also, with the semi-auto, she has to learn how to pull the slide back to the rear to load the weapon. Let’s face it… with some this may take a lot of practice and may even require them to build up enough strength to do it. With the revolver… you can skip this completely.
- Do I like the sights? This is truly up to one’s personal choice but it makes a big difference in low-light conditions. And last, what purse do I intend to carry it in? Let’s be realistic… there are some really huge purses out there as well as some really small ones. If you need to draw the weapon from the purse, you better be able to find it in order to use it.
As my favorite is the Glock… I’d recommend the Glock 26 (sub-compact
9mm) for my spouse (if I had one) but this would only be after I have
had her try it out to make sure that she likes the feel of it. Ha.